NewsChannel5 eClassifieds
Home News Weather Traffic Sports Entertainment Health Lifestyles NewsChannel+5 Jobs Classifieds
Home > News > Historic Nashville 2012 Nashville Nine - 9/26/2012

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 

Historic5~0.jpg
Monroe-Harding Inc., 1120 Glendale, Green Hills1801 viewsMrs. Fannie Harding founded what became the Monroe-
Harding Children's Home in 1893 as a Presbyterian
Orphanage. Making the gift in honor of her husband, Dr.
James Monroe Harding, Fannie Harding donated her family
home and five acres on 18th Avenue North in Nashville. By
the 1930s, the facility needed more space and after a
building campaign, the current location in Green Hills was
purchased. Local residents fear development pressure may force
them to relocate, opening up the property for redevelopment.
Historic4~0.jpg
Montgomery House, 914 Meridian Street1946 viewsThe Montgomery House at 914 Meridian Street in East Nashville's Cleveland Park neighborhood was recently condemned by Metro Codes due to neglect and deterioration. Built around 1910 for original owner John J. Keyes, the Montgomery House is a Craftsman-influenced Bungalow occupied by the Police Athletic League (PAL) from 1985-2005 and North Edgefield Organized Neighbors (NEON) since 2008. The Metro Development and
Housing Agency renovated the building with federal funding in 1985.
Historic6.jpg
John Geist & Sons Blacksmith Shop, 311 Jefferson Street, Germantown3309 viewsThis historic landmark has continued to deteriorate since first
listed on the 2009 Nashville Nine. Both buildings suffer from
significant water damage, structural failure and neglect. Until
it closed its doors in 2006, the John Geist & Sons Blacksmith
Shop was thought to be Nashville's oldest business in
continuous family ownership and operation. Listed
National Register of Historic Places in 1980, the Tennessee
Preservation Trust included it on its 2008 list of
the state's 10 most endangered properties.
Historic7.jpg
Hillsboro Village, 1800 Block936 viewsHillsboro Village is one of Nashville's few remaining early
twentieth century suburban commercial corridors. Currently
unprotected with conservation zoning, most of the blocks
are owned by the H.G. Hill Realty Co., which plans to
demolish the 1800 Block of buildings within the district to
construct a mixed-use, multi-story apartment development
at year’s end. Preservationists have advocated for
redevelopment in a manner that preserves the character of well-loved historic commercial district.
Historic8.jpg
Hillsboro West End National Register Historic District, Midtown,1695 viewsThe Hillsboro West End Historic District illustrates the plight of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places that do not fall under accompanying local preservation zoning
ordinances. Parts of the district are covered by conservation
zoning, which regulates demolition and the scale of new
construction. However, the streets on the edge of the district are only a part of the strictly honorary National Register district and its desirable midtown location has made it popular with developers.
Historic9.jpg
Free Will Baptist Bible College/ Welch College, 3606 West End Avenue1996 viewsEstablished as the Free Will Baptist Bible College in 1942,
this campus enjoys a prime location in a quiet residential
area off West End. Recently renamed Welch College, the
four-year private Christian college is looking to grow beyond
the size of its current campus, and plans to relocate to a new
66-acre campus in Sumner County. It remains a desirable location. Since only part of the college property is protected by conservation zoning, this valuable real estate is threatened with demolition.
Historic1~0.jpg
Utopia Hotel, 206 Fourth Avenue, Downtown1421 viewsBuilt of stone in the Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style, the Utopia Hotel was opened in 1891 on Fourth Avenue in what was then Nashville’s Men’s District, a concentration of bars, gambling halls and other places respectable ladies were not permitted to visit. The building is unique for its very narrow footprint. Other than the bottom floor now used as a dry cleaners, the rest of the building is vacant with some
missing windows and deterioration.
Historic2~0.jpg
Wade School, 5022 Old Hydes Ferry Pike, Scottsboro and Bell’s Bend1553 viewsNow vacant, the Wade School first served the children of the
Scottsboro and Bell’s Bend community in 1936. Built with New
Deal funding during the Great Depression, the brick building
retains original and distinctive Classical Revival-style elements;
such as arched entrance portico and oval gable vents.
Commercially zoned, the building is currently on the real estate
market. Unless a preservation-minded buyer is found, the
vacant landmark is threatened with deterioration and
demolition.
Historic3~0.jpg
Mt. Olivet Cemetery Chapel & Office, 1101 Lebanon Pike, Donelson1568 viewsThe Mt. Olivet Cemetery Chapel and Office has continued to
deteriorate since first listed in the 2009 Nashville Nine. Built
in stages between the 1870s and 1940s, the historic
landmark suffers from significant water damage, broken
windows and doors and structural failure. Likely designed by
Ryman Auditorium architect, Hugh Cathcart Thompson, the
Gothic Revival-style building functioned as the chapel and
offices for the historic cemetery until it was replaced with a
new facility in 1996.
9 files on 1 page(s)